Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tartans

My favorite tartan is Royal Stewart.  I have a lot of ones I love but this is by far my favorite.
What is a Tartan?
Tartan is a woven material, generally of wool, having stripes of different colours and varying in breadth. The arrangement of colours is alike in warp and weft - that is, in length and width - and when woven, has the appearance of being a number of squares intersected by stripes which cross each other; this is called a 'sett’.

By changing the colours; varying the width; depth; number of stripes, differencing is evolved. Tartan patterns are called "setts"; the sett being the complete pattern and a length of tartan is made by repeating the pattern or sett over and over again.
The above information is from The History of Scottish Tartan & Clan Tartans.
I hope to share with you lots of tartans and a little history of them in the future.  Also any item I find for sale that has a tartan design.  Just to name a few quick ones........ Lands End has a tote bag with tartan handles and a women's plaid down vest both available now.  Williams-Sonoma has Dress Stewart tablecloths, place mats and napkins.  I'm sure there are dozens more but I happen to know of these off the top of my head. 

Just to note........this blog is not going to be just about tartans.  It will be about me, a favorite subject of mine, and all the things that interest me and hopefully also interest any followers I may have.  I will be posting about projects, family, pickin with Cass, and anything else that catches my eye.

Thanks for following.
Off to play..........

No comments: